The Music Collection of the Olomouc Archbishopric

The Kroměříž music collection includes music collected gradually between the 17th and 19th centuries in the chateau and the churches of Kroměříž (St. Maurice, Virgin Mary, Piarist College and the church of St. John Baptist). The oldest part of the collection was created via the artistic support and sponsorship of Bishop Karl II von Liechtenstein-Kastelkorn for the needs of the court orchestra and for sacred purposes of the church of St. Maurice. Pavel Josef Vejvanovský, the court composer and trumpeter, copied the compositions of his contemporaries in the Vienna-Salzburg circle and also composed a great deal of his own music. Most of the music from the episcopate of Archbishop Colloredo has been preserved; symphonies, chamber music, as well as pieces for harpsichord, string and wind instruments. A remarkable part of the chateau collection is a fragment of the music collection of Archduke Rudolf Jan who studied composition and piano with Ludwig van Beethoven. In the 1930s, the chateau collection was extended by the inclusion of music from the churches of Kroměříž; the whole music collection was first catalogued by the chateau archivist Antonín Breitenbacher. The collection was professionally processed, primarily by musicologist Jiří Sehnal.

Jitka Kocůrková – Kateřina Smékalová

Contact:
Mgr. et Mgr. Kateřina Fajtlová

kurátorka a správce hudební sbírky
fajtlova(a)olmuart.cz
tel.: 573 332 037

Photo Gallery
Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber (1644 Stráž pod Ralskem – 1704 Salzburg)

Battalia, 1673

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 Salzburg – 1791 Wien)

Sonata for two pianos(1781)

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 Bonn – 1827 Wien)

Sketch of the Variations in F minor, 1818


Todays opening hours

Archdiocesan Museum Olomouc Closed
Museum of Modern Art Closed
Archdiocesan Museum Kroměříž closed

Friday | 27. 11. 2020

Today is open


Pokladna otevřená út–ne 10-18 hodin, Rezervace na pokladna@olmuart.cz
telefon: 585 514 241

9 exhibitions open

Subscribe to Newsletter

 
© MUZEUM UMĚNÍ OLOMOUC 2016