October 25, 2012 - March 31, 2013
Museum of Modern Art | Archdiocesan Museum Olomouc
Olomouc Museum of Art administers both the state collection of art in Olomouc and the large and rich collections of the Archbishopric of Olomouc, held in Olomouc as well as in the Kroměříž Chateau. The title of the exhibition should imply the range of the collecting, from old to contemporary art, as well as its considerable territorial expansion, and last but not least, the ambitions existing here both in the past and now. Among the jewels of the Archbishop‘s picture gallery in Kroměříž is one of the most remarkable works of art from the past, Titian’s painting Apollo and Marsyas (1550–1576); one of the youngest and now dynamically developing museum collections is the section of the artists’ books, with the series of prints by Andy Warhol, entitled Brillo (1988). The exhibition is installed in five exhibition rooms in the two museum buildings in Olomouc – the Archdiocesan Museum and the Museum of Modern Art. It is accompanied by a large, lavishly illustrated book summing up the history of the ecclesiastical and the public collections, and presenting a selection of nearly 800 exhibits from approximately 170 000 collection items now administered by the Olomouc Museum of Art, thus giving an idea of the extent of its diverse attendant activity.